I didn’t make it to the big Pro Walk/Pro Bike advocacy conference and the National Women’s Bicycling Summit that were down in Long Beach last week; but I did follow it closely via Twitter and other outlets. From all the news and opinions I’ve read, four things stood out. I share them below in case you missed them too.
Mark Gorton’s calls for radical reform
Mark Gorton, the web entrepreneur and financier behind Limewire, Streetsblog, and Streetfilms, gave a keynote that brought the house down. Gorton has recently launched a global initiative dubbed “Rethinking the Automobile” and his speech certainly seemed to meet that goal. Channeling one of his inspirations, former Bogota Mayor Enrique Peñalosa, Gorton exclaimed, “Birds fly, fish swim, people walk,” and he said walking is a “human rights violation.” Cities have become so auto-centric that Gorton believes, “We have crushed the ability of children to move about their own world.” To thwart the dominance and negative impacts of cars in cities, he suggested that, “We should not be building any new automobile infrastructure.”
How can we push for such dramatic change? “We [people] are the majority. Cars don’t vote,” Gorton said. He also called for a new campaign to change the way people think about transportation.
For more on Gorton, and to follow his work, check out RethinkTheAuto.org.
* The backup image section of this tag has been generated for use on a
* non-SSL page. If this tag is to be placed on an SSL page, change the
* This noscript section of this tag only shows image banners. There
* is no width or height in these banners, so if you want these tags to
* allocate space for the ad before it shows, you will need to add this
* information to the tag.
* If you do not want to deal with the intricities of the noscript
* section, delete the tag (from … to ). On
* average, the noscript tag is called from less than 1% of internet
To read the whole story, visit here: http://bikeportland.org/2012/09/18/four-takeaways-from-pro-walkpro-bike-from-someone-who-wasnt-there-77487
MOST POPULARAlberto Contador Amgen Tour of California Andy Schleck BMX Bradley Wiggins Cadel Evans Cervélo Chris Froome Cyclo-cross Doping Euskaltel-Euskadi Fabian Cancellara Garmin Giro d'Italia HTC Lance Armstrong Levi Leipheimer Liquigas Lotto Mark Cavendish Mountain Biking Movistar Olympics Omega Pharma Paris-Roubaix Pat McQuaid Peter Sagan QuickStep Rabobank RadioShack Road Cycling Ryder Hesjedal Saxo Bank Shimano Taylor Phinney Team Sky Thor Hushovd Tom Boonen Tour de France Track Cycling Trek Tyler Farrar UCI Vincenzo Nibali WorldTour
- Kenny Butler’s Leadville bike equipped for his prosthetic
- Jim Penseyres Ride to Recovery Rider at the Leadville Trail 100
- Rodgers on Stage 20
- Sean Yates on Sky’s success at the 2012 TdF
- Wiggins jumps on team car after winning the 2012 Tour De France
- Cadel Evans on his 2012 Tour de France
- Dave Brailsford on Cav after Stage 18
- Wilfried Peeters on Quick Steps 2012 Tour De France
- Rusch after the Rush: Silver Rush 50 was really heads up
- Roche on Stage 17 and his own GC standing